Mount Vernon, Maryland Points of Interest
Mount Vernon is located just to the north of downtown Baltimore, and is designated as a historical district. The neighborhood of Mount Vernon is convenient to all parts of Baltimore, and is filled with history, art, and boutique shopping areas. Unlike many parts of Baltimore, several of the streets are still lined with cobblestones, adding to the neighborhood’s charm. Mount Vernon has excellent public transportation, is bikeable, and has been called “the most walkable neighborhood in Baltimore” by Walkscore. It also has a transit score of 89, making it a commuter's dream.
Key points of interest:
- Walters Art Museum - Enjoy an extensive and varied art collection, including neoclassical sculptures, Faberge eggs, and Egyptian artifacts. Free admission.
- Washington Monument - The nation’s first memorial to George Washington was built 25 years before the DC version. Explore the small museum in the base of the monument.
- Maryland Historical Society - Peruse the museum’s collection of early American decorative art, and see the original manuscript of Francis Scott Key’s “Star-Spangled Banner”.
- North Charles Street shopping district - Browse through antique shops, small specialty boutiques and larger retail stores.
- Howards Dog Park - Let your pooch run off some steam in the large, shady park. Separate areas for large and small dogs.
There are over 170 restaurants, coffee shops, and bars within the neighborhood of Mount Vernon. Here are just a few:
- Trinacria Cafe - Italian deli and gourmet grocery.
- The Helmand - Afghan cuisine.
- Ceremony Coffee Roasters - Coffee, tea, and baked treats.
And we're next door to The Mount Vernon Marketplace, a foodie's paradise:
- The Local Oyster - Fresh seafood and local beer specializing in oysters
- Centre Bar - Full-service bar, great for happy hour.
- Brown Rice - Korean grill specializing in Bibimbap
- Cheezy Mike's - Upscale comfort food with a focus on cheese.
- Cholita's Tacos - Mexican cuisine specializing in "street style" tacos.
- Fishnet - Fresh fish and seafood sandwiches and entrees.
- Fresh Monday's - Cold-pressed juices, smoothies, and salads.
- Pinch Dumplings - Handmade Chinese dumplings.
- Slurpin' Ramen - Ramen and rice bowls.
- Tiger Lilly Shop - Handmade men's and women's jewelry and accessories.